Blog Archive

Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Hermana Inman Letter May 28, 2013

Hello from San Marcos!!

So they've moved me to San Marcos. This area covers all of San Marcos and a little corner of Escondido, and it's HUGE! I whitewashed here and am greenie-breaking again. This was an elder's area but they've switched it out for hermanas now. Whitewashing is stressful! This ward has 12 missionaries in it! Can you imagine that? There's 600 members in this ward but 300 are inactive.. so there's a lot of work to do. Hermana Moffitt is my new companion, she's 19! I won't find out for 5 more weeks which mission I'll be staying in, so you can keep sending all mail to the Carlsbad Mission. It doesn't split until July 1st. Thank you for sending me an SD Card and pictures and letters and meds! :)
 
We're still getting to know this area, but the members are great and willing to help! We're focusing on finding. The other day we were tracting and there was a lady cleaning out her garage. We walked up to her and quickly she said "nope, no, no thank you, I'm already saved." We said, "ok, well can we help you with your project or anything?" and she said no. We walked across the street to knock the next door, and then she calls out to us "wait, ladies, there's something you can do!" So we went back over to her garage and she asked us to help her with a couple small projects. I patched up a hole in one of her blankets and hermana Moffitt put together a shoe box of toys for a kid in Russia (this lady puts together shoeboxes of gifts for children in poor countries and sends them to them at Christmas time!) She was timid and not talkative at first, but as the time passed, she kept asking us to stay and help her with her garage. We did, and she opened up and was friendly, and carried out conversation with us. After about and hour and a half or so, when we had finished organizing the boxes in her garage, she said, "you know, missionaries pass by my house all the time, but not one of them has ever asked if they could help me with anything before. You two were the first. And at first I was thinking no, I know where everything goes and I don't need your help. But as I thought about it more, I thought well why not? Thank you for helping me." She was not interested in our message, but at least she was able to have a good image of the church and maybe someday she'll remember and invite the missionaries into her home! It's a rare and nice experience when people just let us help them or when they'll just talk to us.
 
Alfredo is getting baptized this Saturday and I better be able to go! I have a few phone calls to make, but San Marcos is next door to Vista, so it shouldn't be a problem. It's hotter here since it's farther away from the ocean.
 
I'm happy for Taylynn and Dowlin! Tell them congratulations for me! She wrote me an email and I'm still in the process of writing back. I wish I could have been there to celebrate with them! That's so awesome that Rigdon recognized my picture on the missionary wall!! That makes me so happy! Tell Morgan I say hi, and if you see Brittany tell her I say hi! And Syd! And everyone.. haha. It sounds like everyone has a fun summer planned out! I continue to keep you all in my prayers.
 
Thank you for all of your prayers :) it's been pretty rough lately but I know it's your prayers that make things more bearable! I don't really have any other cool stories or experiences to share today, sorry.
 
Oh, I forgot to tell you the other week that I ate tacos with cow tongue, cow cheek, cow head, and cow intestines! Not too bad... suprisingly enough cow tongue tastes pretty good, but the rest of it was only alright. Annnndddd that's about it. We've been trying to learn "dichos" lately to talk more like a latino. If you know any (be appropriate) send some to me!
 
I love and miss you all tons! Have a great week and stay cool down there in the AZ heat! Thanks for all of your love and support!
 
Love,
Hermana Inman