Blog Archive

Tuesday, July 2, 2013

Hermana Inman Letter July 2, 2013

Happy 4th of July!

Thanks for your emails!

I'm glad that the family reunion went well and that everybody was safe and enjoyed themselves! Torie sounds like she's doing great at band camp. She's a superstar and I'm so proud of her! Jake sounds like he's doing awesome as well... his emails always surprise me, because so much of what he does (even with permission from president) is not in accordance with the missionary handbook.. haha they are breaking so many rules with president's permission! It's crazy! Staying out until 11 for firework shows, going to member endowment sessions, driving out of your area, etc. Our mission is pretttyyyy strict on the rules over here.
 
They divided the mission last Tuesday (that's why my email was early, because we didn't have P-day on Tuesday due to the conference which lasted all day; my P-days are still on Tuesdays).  Only a few of my friends got sent to the Irvine Mission.  Most of them stayed here in Carlsbad with me.  
 
We have a new mission president now, President Kendrick.  The Cooks are back home in Utah now. 
We set a baptismal date with Adolfo!!!!!  He'll be baptized on August 3rd! He had a couple dreams :) the first one: he was in the army, in training, and all of the sudden somebody shouted out for all the men to fire, and they were all firing at him, and he couldn't go anywhere because he was surrounded. But then, he realized that all the bullets were just fake, and that they weren't really hurting him.  He related this to baptism because he's scared of baptism and there's no escape.  But, he realized that he just needs to face it and it wont hurt him. He just needs to get over his fear... I'm not sure how he pulled that one out, but hey! it works for me! The second dream: he was driving on the freeway but was blind. That was his whole dream. Apparently that dream meant that he just needs to move forward with baptism and trust in the Lord to guide him. Like I said, works for me! 
 
Yesterday we were knocking doors and as we approached this mans door, he starts yelling "take a hike! not interested! need water? find it somewhere else!" and so we walked off and he was still yelling.  We could still hear him yelling a few doors down. So then, on the last door of the street, after we knocked, we turned around and that same man was waiting for us at the bottom of this driveway. He apologized to us for being so rude and then gave us each a drumstick ice cream cone. That was cool. 
 
I had a cool experience at the post office the other day. There was a hispanic lady next to me in line and we started talking a little bit (in Spanish!).  Then it was her turn, and the worker at the counter was getting really frustrated because he couldn't speak Spanish, and she was frustrated because she couldn't speak English. The worker asked "does anybody here speak Spanish?" And I was able to say "I do!" and I got to translate their transaction :) it was pretty neat! They were both grateful and I was grateful for the opportunity.
 
I got your letter mom, thank you :) I'll write back as soon as I can! You are so inspired! You know what's funny is that same morning that I got your letter I was reading over the same thing. 
I have a question that maybe you can answer mom or dad? Where is the doctrine that says that a mother can raise her baby in heaven if it dies in infancy? And, how is that possible when spirits are all in adult form? I was reading about it in Gospel Essentials this morning, but the more I study anything the more I realize I don't understand and then I have a million questions. Carmen was asking about it the other week and we didn't know what to tell her. 
 
What are you guys doing for the 4th of July? Have fun and be safe!! We won't be doing anything to celebrate, really.  We'll be working the same as any other day :) but that means a lot of people will be at the park, which is the perfect contacting opportunity. 
 
Have a great week and stay cool! Don't forget the sunscreen! Light a sparkler for me or something haha.
 
I love you and miss you all!  Thanks for all of your support and love!
 
Love,
Hermana Inman
 
P.S. next week is my halfway mark of my mission... can you believe that?