Blog Archive

Tuesday, November 12, 2013

Hermana Inman Letter November 12, 2013

Greetings from abuelita (grandma) Inman

Mom, you're going to be so proud of me.  I finally pulled out those grandma shoes you made me get before I started my mission.  I have to tell you, I've only worn them like twice on my mission, in areas where they wouldn't be noticed, but now I just don't care haha.  The other night I could barely walk because my knees and feet and back were all just so achy from walking as much as we have been, and so I put aside my pride and put on the ugly grandma shoes, and wore them for the rest of the day. Outside. In public. Somebody told me they look like water shoes. But I don't even care, my knees and feet and back had never felt so good. So, thanks for insisting that I get them and take them with me.  They have proven to be so helpful haha :).

Speaking of grandma's, I'M SO HAPPY THAT GRANDMA GOT A KIDNEY!!! WHAT A MIRACLE!!!  What a huge answer to all the prayers and fasting.  I'm glad to hear that the surgery went so well and that she is recovering so quickly :)  that makes me so happy, and I'm sure the entire Inman family (and others) feel the same way! Ahh, what a relief.  What a blessing.

I was asked what a Sister Training Leader (STL) does, and if I will be getting to do Spanish exchanges.  A STL is basically the girl version of a zone leader.  There is one almost every zone now, and we go on exchanges with each sister in our zone each transfer. Unfortunately I won't be going on any Spanish exchanges, there aren't any Spanish sisters in the Del Mar zone. I'm over 7 sisters, including my companion, so I will be going on 6 exchanges within the next 2 weeks!  It's stressful and tiring, but it's fun :)  you get to see different areas and get to know other missionaries.  STL's also do trainings with the zone leaders at zone training meetings (which I get to do tomorrow).  I got to go to Mission Leadership Council on Friday, which is where the President and the Assistants train us and show us what we need to teach in our zones.  It was really neat and spiritual.  I really have no idea why I was given this assignment, except maybe for a little bit of humbling haha I feel like there are so many other sisters who are more qualified to teach and help than I am, but I am excited and grateful for the opportunity.

We got a new investigator!! Rufina is a cute little old Filipino lady.  She's a strong Catholic and has never wanted to do anything with the church, although her son and their family are LDS (in our ward).  She came to church for the very first time last Sunday and said we could come over to teach her.  The first lesson was rough... We thought a brother in our ward who served his mission in the Philippines spoke her same dialect, and so we brought him with us to translate.  The entire lesson she was quiet and gave us blank stares and couldn't really answer any questions.  So finally, she told us that she can only speak a little bit of the dialect bro. stanworth was saying, and she speaks a different dialect. That would have been good to know!  Luckily, we figured out a time when her son can be there at the same time to translate in the right language.  We don't have any Tagolog speaking missionaries here, or branches, so we're fortunate to even have somebody who can translate for us. We're teaching her on Saturday so I'll let you know how it goes.  Their family was in the city where the typhoon hit, and they haven't heard from them yet; they're very worried.
 
We finally got into Claude's house the other day!  We randomly stopped by, and although he wasn't home, his wife was and she let us in. We're going to help them put up Christmas Decorations this week :).
 
Julie didn't come to the baptism :( she flaked last minute.  We're still searching for investigators. Thanks for the prayers :).  Remember Sina?  He moved to the other ward a few weeks ago, but he still keeps coming to our sacrament meeting.  At least he still has the desire, right?
 
That's cool news Dad!  I think you and mom would really love to serve a mission together someday.  I see the couple missionaries in our mission and I know you would be so happy serving together.  When there's a will (especially the Father's will), there's a way!
 
Mom I'm glad to hear your trip went well!  How fortunate we are to know about the plan of salvation.  It brings me so much comfort to know that we can be with our families forever, even after death.  I'm grateful for our family and look forward to spending eternity with you guys.  
 
Thank you to both mom and dad for sending me some family history!! I love the stories :)  it's kind of addicting to do genealogy! That's fun that you get to go to the family history center and to the classes each week.
 
I got your letters and the SD card, thanks mom :).  I also got a letter from Jake! I miss that kid.  Good luck at super state Torie!! You are going to rock it! I'm so proud of you!  Congratulations Jesse on your hunting trip! You'll have to tell me if the meat is any good.  How's the electric slide coming? I'm sure you look great- all the girls will want to dance with you.
 
I loved Jake's email this week, about his experience with the rude man, and how they had the courage to turn around and go back to his house to bear testimony of our Savior. What a special experience. I had an experience kind of similar, but not quite as profound as Jake's the other night.  We were walking around contacting (talking to people outside) and this guy popped out of nowhere.  We started talking to him and he told us he'd listen to what we have to say if we would listen to him first.  We said ok.  He started telling us that we're wasting our time and we're being stupid, told us there were some bad people around, and that he could be a serial killer for all we know and he could kill us right now.  He told us to be careful and go home.  Then continued to counsel us to go out and get drunk and do something stupid, to live life.  He was using such profane language.  I started bearing my testimony of the truths we know, and especially about or Savior, and the plan of salvation.  You could feel the Spirit come join us as we testified of gospel truths.  He was dumbfounded a few times and had nothing else to say.  It was neat to see the power of the Spirit when we bear testimony of simple gospel truths.  Moral of the story, your testimony and faith in the Savior are one of your most powerful tools! Don't be afraid to use them!
 
Anyway, sorry this is such a long email.  I'm glad to hear the family is doing well :).  I love you all and miss you!  Have a great week and be happy!
 
Love,
Hermana Inman